Sadly, Deborah passed away on 20th December, 2020. Very much missed by family, friends and embroidery lovers alike, here is her obituary from The Church Times.
Today on the Stitchery Stories embroidery podcast, Deborah Mullins shares her passion for Palestine. The beautiful traditional embroidery and the places and people – as well as a deep sadness at the ethnic cleansing, displacement & social injustice experienced within that land.
Continue reading to discover the highlights of our chat and to see examples of Deborah’s work …
Susan Weeks chats with Deborah about:
- Kickstarting a passion for embroidery after many years of other creative pursuits
- Being inspired by 3 months in Palestine – the traditional embroidery but also the places and the tragic tales of displacement and injustice
- Playing with colour and hand stitched textures
- Bethlehem Couching & traditional Palestinian embroidery
- The ‘Key Of Return’ – a symbol of memory and longing to return
- Winning the Gold Medal for Creative Textiles from City & Guilds
- Meeting Princes Anne at St. James’s Palace to receive an award from The Worshipful Company Of Haberdashers
- A special visit to the British Museum stores to handle and study items of Palestinian costume
- Why election results programs are so helpful…
- Deborah’s exhibition 6-10 June 2018 at The Old School Room, Haworth